Decade of Action for Road Safety 2011-2020
Join us on facebook. Toguether we can sabe millions of lives.
Tag you and share with your friends. Toguether we can sabe millions of lives.
On 11 May 2011, the first ever Decade of Action for Road Safety 2011-2020 was launched with great enthusiasm and optimism across the world. Mandated by the United Nations General Assembly, the Decade is a historic opportunity for countries to stop and reverse the trend which – without action – would lead to the loss of around 1.9 million lives on the roads each year by 2020. So the Decade could achieve its goal to stabilize and then reduce the forecasted level of road traffic fatalities around the world. If this ambitious target is achieved, a cumulative total of 5 million lives, 50 million serious injuries and US$ 5 trillion could be saved over the Decade.
WHAT CAN WE DO?
- release national orlocal plan in line with theGlobal Plan;
- enact new legislation orimprove enforcement of existing legislation;
- ensure funds to supportthe national plan.
- create awareness raising tools;
- organize high-profile public events;
- influence the creation or modification of legislation.
- release a fleet safety policy;
- support campaigns in the communities in which the company operates;
- contribute financially to the Road Safety Fund.
- serve as “ambassador”forroad safety;
- join a youth assembly;
- ensure the safety ofroads around schools.
Victims and survivors:
- share stories ofthe consequences ofroad crashes;
- host an event on the annualWorldDay of Remembrance for Road TrafficVictims;
- support nongovernmental organizations.
- committo reporting news and features on road safety;
- report responsibly on road traffic crashes, using reports on crashes as an opportunity to address prevention;
- serve as a conduitfor social marketing and mass media campaigns.